Sunday 27 January 2013

Where does my writing come from?


I have lived in the same place all my life. I was born in Winchester and live in a village near Eastleigh. I have never lived or spent an exceedingly long amount of time anywhere else other than Hampshire. In my spare time, I mostly read books written by Cecelia Ahern and occasionally thrillers such as Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson.

Living in Hampshire has had an impact on my writing as I write about what I know and have seen; it would be pointless to write about events I know nothing about, which happened in somewhere I have never been. It definitely wouldn't be believable. I have also visited other cities and traveled to various countries which has enabled my writing to become more interesting. The books I have read haven’t affected my writing to much extent but they have inspired me to think of creative plots and characters when I write fiction.

Most of what I write comes from the things I have experienced mixed with my imagination, rather than where I live and what I have read. Similarly, Amy Lowell described that the poet Emily Dickinson was ‘sinking under the weight of an introverted imagination’, maybe as a result of her decision to isolate herself, which is clearly shown in her writing. Perhaps where she was from and what she had read were not relevant to her writing in this time of her life.

In the end, I suppose my writing would be rather dull if it wasn't for my imagination and the things I have experienced throughout my life, whether they have happened where I live or during the times I have spent away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment